12.712. ?Dedication by Euphron son of Archimedes
- ?A white marble building block or statue base.
- Inscribed on the face.
- 0.02; ligatures: l.1, ΜΗ, l.2, ΜΜ; l. 2, diaeretic dots either side of the initial Υ of Hypsicles (twice).
- Second to third centuries A.D. (lettering)
- Re-used in the Walls, South (west part); 'au turbe des remparts', by the Islamic holy place just west of the excavated stretch of the south city wall, near 12.612 (=MAMA 410), 12.714 (=MAMA 561)
- Original Location:
- Last recorded location:
- History of discovery:
- Recorded by Gaudin (20); not reported subsequently.
- Published from Gaudin by Reinach, 29, whence McCabe PHI Aphrodisias 354.
- Text constituted from:
- Gaudin's squeeze; publications. This edition Roueché and Bodard (2007).
- 0 [Σεπ Αυρ Φλ Οὐενιδιος Ὑψικλης τε]-
- 1τράκι stop τοῦ Ἀρχιμήδους Εὔφρων stop ἱερεὺς τοῦ
- 2Ἀσκληπιοῦ stop δι' Ἀμμίας τ<ῆ>ς Ὑψικλέους τοῦ Ὑ-
- 3ψικλέους τοῦ φύσει Ζήνωνος Ὑψικλίδος τετρά-
- 4 κις ἀρχιερείας θυγατρὸς πόλεως τῆς μάμ-
- 5[μ]η̣ς αὐτοῦ καθὼς ὑπὲρ αὐτοῦ ὑπέσχετο κα̣[ὶ]
- 5a[·· ? ··
- 1ΤΡΑΚΙ stop ΤΟΥΑΡΧΙΜΗΔΟΥΣΕΥΦΡΩΝ stop ΙΕΡΕΥΣΤΟΥ
- 2ΑΣΚΛΗΠΙΟΥ stop ΔΙ'ΑΜΜΙΑΣΤΣΥΨΙΚΛΕΟΥΣΤΟΥΥ
- 5a[·· ? ··
l. 2, ΤΜΣ
l. 5, [μη]ς Reinach; at end ΚΙ Reinach
[?Septimius Aurelius Flavius Venidius Hypsikles] Euphron (i.e. son of Hypsikles the son of Hypsikles the son of Hypsikles) the son of Archimedes, priest of Asklepios, through the agency of Ammia Hypsiklis, daughter of Hypsikles son of Hypsikles natural son of Zenon, four times high priestess, daughter of the city, his grandmother, as she promised on his behalf [·· ? ··
The name has been restored by comparison with 12.638 (=75.286).
The function of the text is unclear; it may be a dedication, or a record of work undertaken by Euphron.