1.174. Building dedication for Hadrian
- White marble architrave blocks with decoration, above, of scrolls in relief between bands of egg-and-dart moulding; below, two fasciae. The inscription has been erased on all blocks except b, and several others which were inscribed, are not now legible; some of the blocks were also recut for re-use. b (Doruk A 12): W. 2.50 × H. 0.64 visible x depth not measurable; e, left end survives, broken at right, W. 0.84 × H. 0.61 × D. 0.50; e: Doruk A 11) g: Doruk A 12.
- Inscribed on the upper of two fasciae.
- A.D. 117/138 (reign).
- Temple/Church: b reused in the north wall of Temple Church Atrium; e excavated in 1993 at the NW side of the temple; other blocks lying loose.
- Original Location:
- ?In a gymnasium building
- Last recorded location:
- on site (1978)
- History of discovery:
- Excavated by the NYU expedition (Temple 6a and Temple 12).
- Parts published byReynolds, 'Inscriptions and the Building of the Temple', Aphrodisias Papers (Ann Arbor, 1990), 37-40, 39-40; by Doruk, Aphrodisias Papers (Ann Arbor, 1990), 73-74 , whence SEG 1990.946, McCabe PHI Aphrodisias 114bis
- Text constituted from:
- Transcription (Reynolds). This edition Reynolds (2007).
- 1 [·· ? ·· αὐ]|τοκράτορι Καίσαρι Τρ[α | ϊα]νῷ Ἁδριανῷ Σεβαστ|ῷ καὶ τ[·· ? ··]
- 1 [·· ? ··] | τὸ γυμνάσιον τῶν νέων καὶ ΤΟ̣[·· ? ··]
- 1[·· ? ··]ΙΟ[·· ? ··]
- 1[·· ? ·· Ν] | εικοτείμου τοῦ Ἀρτεμιδώρου τοῦ Ζήνωνος | [·· ? ··]
- 1 [·· ? ·· το]|ῦ Μενάνδρου τ̣|[οῦ ·· ? ··]
- 1[ - - - ··]ΤΟΚΡΑΤΟΡΙΚΑΙΣΑΡΙΤΡ[···]ΝΩΑΔΡΙΑΝΩΣΕΒΑΣΤΩΚΑΙΤ[ - - - ]
- 1[ - - - ]ΤΟΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟΝΤΩΝΝΕΩΝΚΑΙΤ·[ - - - ]
- 1[ - - - ]ΙΟ[ - - - ]
- 1[ - - - ·]ΕΙΚΟΤΕΙΜΟΥΤΟΥΑΡΤΕΜΙΔΩΡΟΥΤΟΥΖΗΝΩΝΟΣ[ - - - ]
- 1[ - - - ··]ΥΜΕΝΑΝΔΡΟΥ·[·· - - - ]
To the emperor Caesar Traianus Hadrianus Augustus [·· ? ··] the gymnasium of the Young Men and the [·· ? ··] son of Nikotimos son of Artemidoros son of Zenon [·· ? ··] son of Menandros.
There are several other blocks from this series, too effectively erased to be read.